Tuesday, October 26, 2010

I raise my white flag

If you've read this blog for any length of time you would know that we are once again battling night terrors in our house. Our first experience was when Tanner was about to start Kindergarten. It lasted a couple of months and then stopped just as quick as it started. Let me explain what the terrors are before we go any further. Is is an extreme form of a nightmare, I hope you get that extreme part. He will sleep for about 45 mins to an hour and then wake up screaming, running around (usually in circles) and slinging his arms. You can not wake them up, can not hold them, and can not make them feel comforted. They are stuck in this terror but living it out in front of you. You can see the fear in their eyes and feel their tender heart beating faster than it should. All the while knowing you are completely and utterly powerless to wrap them up and make it all go away.
Do you have a mental image of your child going through this yet? Can you imagine the mental anguish that we go through every night? I cry every night, yes, we go through this every night. Have been again for close to two months. We have been told it'll stop just as it did before. I know this, but it's not something that as a parent I like to hear. We are after all suppose to protect them from things that harm them.

I share this in hopes that someone out there who comes across this might find comfort. Not that their child is experiencing this, but that I know what it's like and they aren't alone. It's not something that we could have prevented but maybe a peek into what our children are struggling with. They are so super sensitive that in their mind things aren't always as small we may think they are, or make them out to be. I find it frustrating that there isn't more out there to help those of us who are struggling with this.

I pray that you never have to experience this. But, please know if you do, you are not alone.

1 comment:

  1. I had these as a child...I am praying for you and Tanner and Michael. I can't imagine, going through it as a child/young teen what it would be like to be a parent watching it. My mother describes it as you do. I do have memories of them, but I also remember my parents being loving and caring, and while it did not draw me out of the terror, it was comforting to remember their calm and strong presence, still to this day. I hope that brings you some peace....Love, Heather

    ReplyDelete